There are many things to love about the holiday season. Seeing family, holiday sweets, and let’s be honest who doesn’t enjoy a gift. But holiday music seems to either delight or insight pure rage. So, if you’re tired of the same old tracks—I’m sorry, Mariah Carey All I Want for Christmas does get old after a while—here are 10 tracks to spice up your holiday playlist.
1. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer by DMX: The late rapper’s rendition of this holiday classic is the perfect holiday cover for the rap fan in your life. There’s something so delightful about the contrast between the sweet holiday song and DMX’s famed aggressive gansta rap sound.
2. Hot Chocolate (feat. Jerry Paper) by Tyler, The Creator: Written for the 2018 Grinch, this track is a calming new age holiday classic. Perfect background music for your holiday gathering.
3. Linus & Lucy - Recorded at Spotify Studios NYC by Anderson .Paak: Here’s one for the instrumental fans out there. This song has nostalgia on its side playing off the classic piano sequence of the Peanuts, Anderson .Paak creates a warm and comforting holiday number.
4. Eggnog & Henny by Shelby Swain: If you’re like me, the holidays are just as much about spending time with friends as it is spending time with family. This is the perfect track for a turnt up holiday party. Definitely not for opening gifts with grandma.
5. All the Way by Chance the Rapper: A fun and upbeat update to a classic holiday song, Chance the Rapper brings his upbeat tone combined with whimsical adlibs by Hannibal Buress and the smooth singing of Jeremiah for a fun new age holiday classic.
6. All I Want for Christmas is a Funky Brass Band by Phat2sday: Looking for a little NOLA spice in you cocoa? No? Phat2sday brings the holiday song you never knew you needed. Punctuated with horns and plenty of NOLA flare, its the perfect funky holiday track.
7. St. Brick Intro by Gucci Mane: Back in 2016 rapper Gucci Mane released an album from behind bars, and it was what they call a cultural reset. The entire album, a-not-so-holiday-holiday-album, is a fun play, and if you needed more reasons to listen he utters the lyrics “Trapping through the snow”. Let’s be real, that lyric alone is enough to listen.
8. Fat Santa by The Rebirth: The Rebirth’s Fat Santa is a funky mix of tongue-in-cheek whimsy and soulful singing. With an infectious funky beat perfect for close listening or background music it’s a wonderful addition to any holiday playlist.
9. Christmas Tree by Lady Gaga: Another song begging to be played at your lively holiday party. Lady Gaga never disappoints and this playfully sexual holiday number is no different.
10. Tis The Season by Big Freedia: This one is for the dolls. Legendary bounce artist Big Freedia brings us (in my opinion) the best song on the list. With a fun beat, catchy lyrics, and Big Freedia’s energy which can be felt sonically, is the best rendition of this holiday classic.